Introduction to Criminal Defense: Know Your Rights
August 18th, 2023
If you’ve been charged or accused of a criminal offense in Texas, your freedom could be on the line. With so much at stake, it’s important that you understand your rights and the resources available to you.
Keep reading to learn more from an experienced criminal defense lawyer about your rights and the assistance you can get for criminal offenses.
Understanding the Role of a Criminal Defense Attorney
If you’re facing criminal charges or accusations, a criminal defense attorney can act as your advocate in all legal proceedings. The actual services involved in criminal defense go far beyond just talking in a courtroom.
Your criminal defense lawyer can help you with any or all of the following:
- Investigating the Case — criminal defense lawyers thoroughly investigate their clients’ cases to understand all possible solutions. This might include questioning police and witnesses and reviewing the prosecution’s case.
- Analyzing the Evidence — criminal defense lawyers have experience analyzing evidence to test theories and understand the case. This may involve personal examinations or third-party testing.
- Plea Bargaining — throughout the criminal process, your lawyer will be in contact with the prosecution for the purpose of negotiating a potential plea bargain. Your criminal defense lawyer may be able to negotiate lower charges or penalties.
- The Jury Selection — the jury assigned to your trial plays an important role in deciding the outcome of your case. Your criminal defense lawyer can work to remove biased jurors and improve the makeup of the jury in your favor.
- Trial Participation — if your case goes to trial, a criminal defense attorney can fight on your behalf in a court of law.
- Sentencing — whether you’re convicted by a journey or make a plea, your criminal defense lawyer can work to reduce the penalties you’ll face as a result.
The Importance of Legal Representation in Criminal Cases
A strong criminal defense can have a huge impact on the outcome of your case. Whether that means getting charges dismissed, reducing charges, or minimizing sentencing, representation from an experienced criminal defense attorney may help you achieve more favorable results. Given the potential penalties that can come with criminal charges, there’s no question that support from a criminal defense attorney is an important part of protecting your rights
The Constitutional Rights of the Accused
So, a criminal defense lawyer helps you defend your rights, but what rights are those? If you’ve been charged with a crime, there are several rights guaranteed to you by the Constitution:
- The accused has the right to a speedy trial.
- The accused has the right to a trial by an impartial jury in the jurisdiction where the alleged crime was committed.
- The accused has the right to be informed of the nature of the accusations against them.
- The accused has the right to be confronted by the witnesses speaking against them.
- The accused has the right to assistance from an attorney.
Keep Your Rights Protected With Help From an Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you’ve been accused of a crime in Texas, you have the right to an attorney. Representation from a reliable, fierce criminal defense attorney may allow you to reduce or even do away with the charges against you. Don’t wait to get help defending your rights and your freedom.
Reach out to the experienced criminal defense lawyer at the Law Office of John G. Perez Jr. to start fighting the charges against you.